About Me

My photo
Piedmont, Alabama, United States
A Bohemian Wildflower with a wanderlust heart. Owner of a few businesses, married to my best friend, an unschooling mom and entrepreneur. I'm a bit random, a hermit, a lover of nature, Forest dweller, Ocean soul, Quirky, Coffeeholic, Artist, Moon Child, Empath, Barefoot, Simple living ,following my bliss and always Grandma's Girl.

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Almost Christmas and Life in General

Well, the tree is up and a few gifts are wrapped. We still need to make a grocery run to get the rest of the fixings for our little Christmas dinner. Today is the start of Christmas vacation for the girls. Our youngest is enjoying it by sleeping in late, then getting up to watch movies and playing Wii the entire day (apparently). Our eldest is out helping out with the Alaska Excursion 120 dog sledding race with friends of ours, so I imagine she will take tomorrow to sleep in late and watch movies all day.

Life is...cold. We have folks we know all over this beautiful state, some with far worse temps than we have, but this poor southern gal is cold, hehe. Thankfully not the "I can't hack this and I want to go home" cold, just more the general observational type that notices the fact that nose hairs freeze the minute you walk outside and the toes are feeling pretty icy and if I have to get up at 2am to crank cars so they don't freeze one more time I going to lose it kind of cold. I will admit to having those "what were we thinking" moments, but in general I'm still thrilled we are here. There is truely no place like this on earth. Even in the frigid negative temperatures there is no place I would rather be.

So, we spend our time making plans for our future here. We've narrowed down the area we want to live in, scan the real estate ads often and think about settling into our own little place here on the last frontier. It will be the end of summer before we buy, since we have a years lease on our little log cabin in Willow here, but that gives us plenty of time to look around and find the perfect fit for us at the right price. Life here in the one room dry cabin is refining for us what we can and cannot live without, the things we see that need to be done better and the things that work.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm glad that the cold temps havent made you want to hightail it out of here. :)

I am so jealous that your daughter is helping out with the sled race. I bet that is a blast!

Missy said...

So far so good Lisa, not cold enough yet to make me wanna go anywhere else...but, by that same token, probably a good thing we still aren't up in the Fairbanks area LOL
Britt said it was fun. She got to meet some of the mushers and she had the post holding up signs letting mushers know who was next up to head out.

Susan Stevenson said...

Stay warm, and enjoy your little cabin. Cheaper to heat a little place, than a big one. :)

How cool that your daughter is helping with the sled race. What fun is that?!

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Susan

an.Alaskan.mom said...

My kids have been cooped up in our house due to chilly temps that they didn't even know it had warmed up yesterday to 0. They got so used to finding stuff to do inside that they haven't even thought about playing in the snow. I can't wait to get them out today and air out my home before our temps drop again.