About Me

My photo
Piedmont, Alabama, United States
A Bohemian Wildflower with a wanderlust heart. Owner of a few businesses, married to my best friend, an unschooling mom and entrepreneur. I'm a bit random, a hermit, a lover of nature, Forest dweller, Ocean soul, Quirky, Coffeeholic, Artist, Moon Child, Empath, Barefoot, Simple living ,following my bliss and always Grandma's Girl.

Friday, August 13, 2010

Contemplating Roots...

I'm taking my second day in a row to piddle around the house, sit on my rear, enjoy getting to be home, and learning that my home is different. Hmm, this gave me pause to consider...my home is different. How did I not realize this fact. I'm well aware of selling off the homestead in Alabama and moving 4500 or so miles away, but how did the fact escape me that this is a different house! I know I was caught up in the whole constant work, go get food, find furniture, etc etc etc that had not allowed a single day, all day, at the new house since the day we moved in..but hey, this is a different house. Strange! A rental home I don't own, odd!
What point am I trying to get to here? It's got me thinking of what kind of home I want for us. There is still that looming question of exactly where we will "settle down" with a house of our own. I was, and still am to an extent, prepared to deal with the waiting time till we figure out where we want to be, find the land we want and buy it (hopefully) and get down to making our own roots here in the Last Frontier. At heart, the Southern gal misses having that feeling of roots that go deep here, despite the fact that I absolute adore Alaska so far. I'm ready to feel at home. Ready to get back to doing the little homesteading things I love (and getting to do them not in 100 degree temps!!). And more than ready to not feel like a whiner cause it is a strange feeling to be "rootless" and adrift and just waiting. I know God's going to lead us to exactly where He wants us, but I never learned that gift of patience well ;-)

3 comments:

The Webbers living a life at the beach said...

Hi Missy, good to see you back blogging again. I've been reading your recent posts and thought (if you haven't already) enjoy reading Rhondas blog post here http://down---to---earth.blogspot.com/2010/07/bloom-where-you-are-planted.html and at Down to Earth forum here http://downtoearthforums.com/showthread.php?4468-Blooming-Where-YOU-are!&highlight=bloom+planted. They seem very relevant to you right now :D

Hayley said...

These seems so familiar. I actually blogged about it and I believe YOU commented and lifted me up during that time!

I know it also seems like we have our little cabin in the woods and we are all settled but in reality that is not the case. We haven't actually closed on the house yet and are praying we can pay for it when we do! Stuff is absolutely lying everywhere and it doesn't feel very "homey" yet. I get that a "Southern gal misses having that feeling of roots that go deep here". You put that very well. Back home, everybody knew where I came from. Here, not so much. We will get settled. But it is going to take some time, I suppose.

If you are at all interested in calling Delta Junction home, I am prepared to show you around and help you along the best way I can. I don't know much but I will share what (and who) I know with you. AND if you want to visit, maybe you can help me sort through all these doo dads I just couldn't leave behind!

Missy said...

Thanks Hayley! We know we want a bit more out than we are, and are leaning towards Delta Junction..but not sure if he could find work there yet. We should be heading up that way in a few weekends.
I know it's going to be quite a while before we can buy a house of our own, but it would help to be out in the "country", so to speak.